Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Livin' Called




This week I am experiencing my first "Call Day"  gatherings
 at the two seminaries that our church supports. 
 We married after that time in
 my husband's ministry so it is a new thing.


There is a lot of excitement,

 probably some trepidation 
and also some plan ole giddiness 
of watching God reveal the next phase of life....


When it is so new,

 you really don't have
 any idea of what you don't know...
and that is probably a good thing....

  So we will tell them a bit about where we serve 
and what God is doing......


                     There really isn't any kind of "protocol" for me
  that I have been made aware of,
 and I wanted to welcome the women and wives
 to our District.
 So I made them each one of the small canvases
 that were gifts at our Pastor's Wives retreat this year.......





And the same time I was making these,
 I ran across the following statistics
(and they are already three years old)


According to the New York Times (August 1, 2010) (Not limited to Lutherans)

  • 25% of pastors’ wives see their husband’s work schedule as a source of conflict.
  • 33% [of pastors] say that being in ministry is an outright hazard to their family.
  • 40% of pastors and 47% of spouses are suffering from burnout, frantic schedules, and/or unrealistic expectations.
  • 45% of pastors’ wives say the greatest danger to them and their family is physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual burnout.
  • 52% of pastors say they and their spouses believe that being in pastoral ministry is hazardous to their family’s well-being and health.
  • 56% of pastors’ wives say that they have no close friends.
  • 80% of pastors say they have insufficient time with their spouse.
  • 80% [of pastors] believe that pastoral ministry affects their families negatively.
  • 94% [of pastors] feel under pressure to have a perfect family.

So I wonder who at the seminary is talking to them about these real-life impacting numbers? 
I see that one of the main areas for me to center
 is praying for families
 and helping to bring some family life encouragement
 to all those Called to Serve in the Southeastern District.
  I see that my job of praying for the church workers
is my job...
and what does that begin to look like?
Praying for church workers,
Praying for a husband and wife,
 and those with children.
 Praying for the churches
 and towns they serve.

Here is the link to the Pinterest board where these prayers are collected:
http://pinterest.com/cdenninger/praying-for-the-southeastern-district/




And what might be the result of God blessing these prayers?
  Gathered together to pray in unison,
for those serving with a Divine Call into ministry,
the public office,
set apart with intention,
to do the work God has called them to do in each place.

Might you join me
 in praying for the Southeastern District
 and those who serve there?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.